Sunday, February 1, 2009

Extension for Challenges 7 and 8

Due to the ice storm that hit a major portion of the United States this week, and as the majority of our racers live in the United States, after significant racer input and long discussion, Natural Designs has chosen to extend the deadline for Challenges 7 and 8 for all racers to next Sunday, February 8 to coincide with the deadline for Challenges 9 and 10. So just to be clear, Challenges 7, 8, 9 and 10 will all be due on Sunday, February 8.

Yes, we understand that many racers completed the challenges by the original deadline, and that some may benefit that were not impacted by the ice storm. We are not generally in favor of exceptions to the rules, due to the large numbers involved in the race and the difficulty of trying to manage individual exceptions. If an individual racer were to miss a deadline due to, as someone referred to this, "a natural disaster", we would not make an exception. But because of the scope of this particular issue, the only fair way to deal with it is to extend the deadline not only for those impacted, but for all racers. On an individual basis, there is little that we can do to verify a claim. In this situation, it is pretty apparent that an ice storm did occur, and that a significant part of the country was impacted. We hope that an extra seven days will allow everyone affected with an opportunity to complete and upload their challenge.

On a separate note, the deadlines for redeeming challenge prize coupons has been extended by Anita Stergiou Designs until February 7 and by Inspiration Lane until February 28. We urge you to take advantage of these offers sooner rather than later to ensure that you have no problems accessing your challenge gifts.


snowowl551 said...

Bravo! I wasn't one of the people hit by the power outages, but I think you have made the right decision!

Lynne said...

I wasn't affected by the ice store either, but as I read about those that didn't have power I was saddened to think that they would miss out because of it. I'm glad about this decision.

Rachel said...

As someone that went through a very similar ice storm right before Christmas over here in New England, I am very glad you did this for them. My power was out for an extended period of time and there would have been no way I could have finished on time if we had been racing then. I am sure this was not an easy decision to make, and I am sure there are many that may be perturbed by it (like I could be seeing as I was practically in my death bed, throwing up last night, making a page so as not to disappoint my partner :) ), but these ice storms are scary and hard enough to deal with to take away something fun from them as well is just not right. You made a great choice!!


Danyale said...

Kudo's to making a hard decision, but the right one!

Susan (Team Sweet Escape) said...

Thank you so much for doing this. My partner lives in Kentucky where a large number of folks are STILL without power...(the governor is seeking to make it a disaster area).
Is there any way that 9 and 10 can be delayed another week, too?